Tuesday 30 July 2013

Run Kilarney 10k Recap


I'm finally getting around to writing my Run Kilarney 10k recap on this run.
It was so hot.
Like 31 degrees.
The day before we had to go collect our race packs.
I was so excited to get my pack and see all the goodies and my t shirt.
We got to the race about a hour before the race to get parking and warm up.
There were over 1250 people taking part in the 10k.
I really didn't know how I was going to handle the heat.
Walked to the start line and the atmosphere was amazing. 
My brother did it with me.
It was his first 10k ever.
Everyone was ready to go.


I managed to jog the first 3.5k.
I took my time and I went as slow as I needed.
I wasn't going to break and records or anything.
Getting back the the hotel without fainting or needing a ride in the medic van was my goal.
My brother is alot taller than me.
His legs are at least a foot longer than mine.
Once we started running he left me for dust.
Damn those long legs. Ha!

There was supposed to be a water station at 3.5k.
There wasn't!
I needed water.
Bad!!
I think the fact that I thought it was going to be there and it wasn't mad it worse.
I got so thirsty.
It was a mental thing more than a physical thing.
I decided to walk so I wouldn't get too hot and dehydrate.
I didn't get water until 4.5k.
I took 2 bottles so I would have enough to keep me going until 8.5k.
The views while I was jogging/walking were amazing.
It really took my mind off the fact that I wasn't doing my greatest.
I ended up walking until the next water station.
My legs were tightening up and I was afraid they would cramp

It was tough.
I hate running in the heat.
And this heat was just awful.
I continued to walk until I came back onto the road and saw the hotel in the distance.
Seeing the hotel and the finish line gave the kick in the butt I needed to run home.
I managed to jog most of the last kilometer home and finished 1h 33min with a smile on my face.
It wasn't an amazing time but I didn't think I was going to break any records.


I wasn't my best run but I did it and I finished it.
If I could change anything I would ask Mother Nature to turn down the heat and have more water stations.
We're not used to the heat in Ireland and the organizers should have put in more water through put the race.


I'm going to do it next year again and this time I'm going to be running and not walking.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...